3.16.2013

Lemon & Roasted Garlic Hummus

Hummus in our house lasts about as long as peanut butter does...


About a week or so.


My husband slathers it on everything from bagels to toast to crackers to tortilla chips. I have it mostly with vegetables as an afternoon snack.


The first time I tried it, back in college, I thought it was fairly disgusting. My best friend liked to eat it and, as roommates, naturally we politely forced one another to try new foods. I decided hummus was not my cup of tea.


Then I met my husband. And he loved it too. But he loves pretty much anything that's packed with protein and can be put on toast. I decided, after a couple of years, that I would give hummus another chance.


Eureka!

I have no idea what changed, but I was hooked. Although, I did acquire a taste for some other random foods that I had previously hated during that same time, including coffee and beer. Good beer. Can't drink that anymore...


When I realized, some time later, how incredibly easy it is to make hummus, I was thrilled. I tinkered with some recipes I found online until I found just the right combination of tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. This recipe is such a staple in our house that I included it in the family cookbook we gave out as favors at our wedding.


A friend recently asked how easy it is to make hummus after I mused over making it to my husband in his presence. My reply, "Throw everything in a food processor and hit 'go' kind-of-easy!" 

This recipe really is super simple. The most complicated part is roasting the garlic. I tried some recipes that called for raw garlic and it just didn't work. This recipe can also be used as a great foundation - play with it! Figure out what you like and don't like. This has a bit more lemon juice than you might personally care for, so change it! Or maybe you want more tahini - go ahead. I don't mind. I truly believe in taking a recipe and making it your own. I hope you enjoy this hummus recipe as much as we do.

Lemon & Roasted Garlic Hummus

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes (garlic)
Yield: 2 cups
  • 2 15-oz cans Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans), drained (liquid reserved and set aside) and rinsed
  • 2 Lemons, juiced
  • 2 Tbsp Tahini
  • 4 cloves Garlic
  • 1/4 cup good Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for roasting garlic and drizzling
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1-2 Tbsp Pine Nuts, as garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Place garlic cloves, unpeeled, on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Wrap up foil into a nicely sealed packed or pouch. Roast in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until soft. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
  3. In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, and roasted garlic. Process until smooth - stop to scrape down sides of bowl.
  4. Turn processor back on, slowly add olive oil in a steady stream while processor continues to run. Stop to scrape down sides of bowl and taste test.
  5. If mixture is not smooth enough, add reserved bean juice, 1 Tbsp at a time while processor is running, until mixture comes together and is nice and smooth (or it reaches your desired consistency). 
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste; pulse 6-8 times to combine.
  7. Transfer hummus to a serving dish. Drizzle lightly with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with pine nuts.
  8. Serve with your favorite gluten-free crackers, toasted pita bread, vegetables, or anything else your heart desires! Will keep for up to two weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Happy gluten-free cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment