12.28.2012

Pork Chili Verde

I cannot recall where I got this recipe from. If I could I would certainly give credit where credit is due. Certainly.


Either way it's a delicious recipe. My husband even likes it. And he's of a pretty traditional mindset when it comes to the all-mighty Chili. He's one of those "chili should contain beans, meat, and tomato sauce" kind of folk. Me? Well let's just say my parents probably should have made my middle name "Experiment" - not Jean.


Don't get me wrong. I love a traditional, steaming, hearty bowl of good ol' fashioned chili. But I also like to mix it up a bit. You know, just to keep things fresh. Vegetarian chili, chicken chili, sweet potato chili - you name it, I've probably cooked it up. But this one has a particularly unique flavor.


I'm not sure how authentic this recipe is. But it sure tastes good. That's enough for me. You could easily do this in the slow-cooker. I would recommend searing the pork first then just toss everything in the pot for the day - 4-6 hours on High or 8-10 on Low. The spice level of this chili is easy enough to tweak - just adjust the amount of crushed red pepper. The original recipe also calls for crushed coriander, but I prefer Gourmet Garden's Cilantro paste. I would like to take this opportunity to promote Gourmet Garden - if only they'd pay me for these things...


Either way, their products are phenomenal. I usually keep the Cilantro paste, Italian Herb Blend, and Ginger paste in my freezer. Yes, my freezer. They last twice as long and don't freeze up hard. So just pull them out of the freezer when you start cooking and by the time you need it it's thawed just enough to use. They're great - and so much easier than keeping and grating fresh ginger every time I need it. Or having to buy a huge bunch of fresh cilantro for a recipe that only calls for 2 Tbsp. Get my drift?


Serve this up with some gluten-free cornbread (I like this recipe: Fluffy Gluten-free Cornbread), a generous dollop of low-fat sour cream, and some chopped green onions. You could also try a dash of lime juice or some shredded sharp cheddar cheese - delish!

Pork Chili Verde

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Extra-virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 lb Pork Tenderloin, trimmed and cut into cubes
  • 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 1 Leek - sliced, rinsed, and drained
  • 6 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 Tbsp Gourmet Garden Cilantro paste (or 1 tsp Ground Coriander)
  • 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 4 oz Diced Green Chiles
  • 7 oz Salsa Verde (I like Herdez)
  • 1/4 cup Beef Stock
  • 14 oz Great Northern or Pinto Beans (one BPA-free can or use dried that have been soaked overnight)
  1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook pork, bell pepper and leek - stirring with a wooden spoon - until meat is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
  2. Add garlic, cumin, cilantro/coriander, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  3. Stir in salsa and stock; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
  4. Stir in beans and cook until heated through, another 1-2 minutes.
Happy gluten-free cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment